When you just start building your business brand, you are never sure if anyone is even noticing you. Then one day, you open your email …
“Dear Cathy, we’ve never met but twice during this morning I was given your name as someone I had to talk to. My friend saw you speak at an event a few months ago, and the other person attended a Board of Trade event just recently where they met you.”
“Please don’t think it’s creepy but I googled you, saw your LinkedIn profile and decided to get in touch with you.”
Yup. It really happened and when it did that first time, I was doing the ‘yippy skippy’ dance – and then I went to the ‘dark side’.
“Is this person for real?” “Who’s talking about me?” “What are they saying?” “Can I live up to it?”
Then I remembered. DUH! That’s what I do … I am purposefully getting out there so people notice me and talk about me. (keyword: purposely) .
I tell my coaching clients, I’m not going to make you rich and famous (you can do that yourself!) and I don’t teach theory. I teach small, simple things that if you do them consistently, you will get results. So here are five small and simple things that you can do to get noticed and remembered.
- Get out of the house every day. Which means get up, get dressed (nicely) do your hair and remember your business cards.
- Be natural, be 100% YOU. If that means you’re going to look a little foolish – so what.
- Make networking a priority in your business especially if you are just starting out. Don’t stop networking ever. EVER.
- Have a really simple message about who you are and what you do. Don’t embellish it because you will mess it up. (yes you will…)
- SPEAK! …at the front of the room. Getting in front of a group is the fastest way to get known as the expert in your field. If you’re not the presenter, stand up and ask a question even if it’s a simple request. – “Hi, Cathy Kuzel, Business Development Strategist and Your Connection to ALL Things Small Biz. Could you please repeat those last statistics? Thanks!”
Now Go Get Connected!