WeBC is delighted to present this self-paced course to help small business owners hire, train and lead their teams!
“HR for Small Business” is part of our SMART Program series, so you can work through the content on your own schedule on our On-Demand Learning Platform. The course is designed to help you understand key concepts, work through interactive case studies and complete activities that apply the learning to your own business.
About the Course
Having the right people on your team creates a positive work environment, helps you deliver quality service, lowers your training costs and frees you up to work on your business instead of in it. So how do you attract and keep great employees on your team?
WeBC has created this three-part module jam-packed with tools, tips and resources to help you develop useful HR strategies to implement at any stage of your business.
In this interactive module, you’ll work through a case study to practice your hiring skills, communicate with your team and learn proven culture-building strategies so you become the employer of choice.
This module includes three chapters, which each take about one hour to complete:
- Chapter 1 | Hiring 101: Finding Great Employees
- Chapter 2 | Employee Retention: Strategies That Engage
- Chapter 3 | Trust and Leadership: How to Foster a High Performing Team
- Access to the HR Module on our On-Demand Learning Platform
- Guidance from a Business Advisor
- Priority entry in our live series, Passion and Grit: Build Your Resiliency Toolkit
Price: Thanks to funding from the Government of Canada’s Women Entrepreneurship Strategy, this course is free in 2024 (valued at $149)!
The French version will be available in 2024.
About the Sessions
Chapter 1 | Hiring 101: Finding Great Employees
What is the key to business success? Engaged and productive employees!
Recruiting is more than just finding workers to fill jobs. It’s a thoughtful process of finding, attracting, evaluating, and selecting candidates, so you hire someone who has the right skill set for your business.
Each person and each business is unique, and there are some solid practices that help you find the people who have the right balance of knowledge, experience and personality – and entice them to join your team!
In this interactive chapter, you’ll learn:
- How to write a job description that’s accurate, appealing and inclusive
- Where to advertise so you have a strong pool of candidates
- Tips to shortlist applicants and conduct interviews that will make your decision‐making easier
Chapter 2 | Employee Retention: Strategies That Engage
Once you’ve compiled your dream team, the next step is making sure they stay.
Fortunately for small business owners, salary is only one part of the equation. Studies show that engaged employees are 59% less likely to seek out a new job in the next year, and there are many practices you can implement to keep your employees engaged.
In this chapter you’ll learn:
- Simple communication techniques that can unite your team
- Ideas to create a retention plan that will keep employees motivated and engaged so they want to stay
Chapter 3 | Trust and Leadership: How to Foster a High Performing Team
Do you trust your team enough to delegate key tasks so you can work on your business, or do you feel the need to micromanage?
Beyond training your employees properly, the key to building a cohesive team is trust – in their abilities, and in yours, as their leader. There are many strategies you can use to unite your employees around your vision, and most can be successful without spending much at all.
During this chapter, we’ll share the strategies that you can use to empower your employees, including:
- Motivating your team around your business’ mission
- Focusing on your own leadership and communication abilities so you can better manage your employees
- Creating a safe and respectful work environment, for your team and customers
This program is funded by the Government of Canada’s Women Entrepreneurship Strategy.
You may also like…
Growing Your Business Resource Guide$0.00
Explore the key factors you should consider when growing your business, so you can decide where to strategically invest your time and money.Add to cart
Starting Your Business Resource Guide$0.00
In this guide, we walk through the steps and factors to consider as you start your business, and highlight what useful resources are available to support you.Add to cart
SMART Program | Strategic Marketing: Build a Marketing Plan for Your Small Business$0.00
Launching Spring 2024Read more
SMART Program | Financial Fitness: Keep Your Business Financially Healthy$0.00
Now available in English!Add to cart